I live in a lovely apartment on the first floor with one floor above me. The windows face a vibrant tall green hedge that separates me from the building next door. I have the space I need – an eat-in kitchen, a bedroom, lots of closet space, and a main room. This main room serves as my dining room and living room.

When I walked by my dining room table the other morning, I noticed that the tablecloth was
drenched and the table, of course, was wet. Then I realized there was a hissing noise coming from the ceiling. “Hmmm…It’s summer in Los Angeles and it’s certainly not raining.” Yet as I stood staring alternately between the ceiling and my soaked table, I realized there was a gentle mist cooling me down!

“Oh my! There’s a small leak in the ceiling somewhere!” I knew I had to move the table and threw some towels on the hardwood floor. That was about all I could do, and I headed out to see a friend and ask for help. During the short walk, the first thought that came to me was something I’ve learned in classes in the past year, “This event is for my training and development. It’s for my spiritual growth.” OK, I am willing student and tried to figure out what I was training for and what I was to develop. I felt an inner calmness connecting to the fact that this was not a malicious, rather an event to help me grow.

What a big accomplishment, I felt. I had internalized the message in the moment. I was pleased…until the following Friday.

Six days after the misting event, I received a medical bill requesting immediate payment. The health practitioner’s office billed me because, as the invoice said, I didn’t have insurance. “What?” I screamed (to the walls). “What are those turkeys thinking? Of course, I have insurance. I gave them my insurance card, they copied it. They know I have insurance.”

I proceeded quickly and angrily to call the health practitioner’s office. Of course I had to solve this problem right away. It could absolutely not wait until Monday. “How incompetent of them,” I thought.

After the situation was resolved, and I resumed breathing and functioning at a normal pace,
I had a proverbial “smack in the forehead” moment. “What did I just do? Where was the sense of inner calm that I had six days ago? Wasn’t this, too, sent to me for my training and development?”

Yes, it was. Then where was my training and developing? I caught myself after the fact – not in
the moment.

That’s my life’s dance: Two steps forward, two steps backward, cha, cha, cha!