It’s cold and dreary outside. So what? We can certainly have it warm and light inside. How? Here are some of my favorites:
- Read a funny story. For example, the chapter, “Don’t Toy with Me,” from Perel Grossman’s book, Adventures in the Produce Aisle.
- Put on some music and dance!
- Listen to old-time comedy radio shows (e.g. George Burns and Gracie Allen, Abbott and Costello, or Jack Benny).
- Find a grade school child and ask them to tell you their jokes? As in:
Child: Why did the chicken cross the road?
You: Dunno. Why?
Child: To get to the other side!! Get it? Ha, ha, ha!!
You: (Guffawing) Yep! Ha, ha! Great joke. Got another one?
- Bake a plain cake (mine would be chocolate, of course) and decorate it with an amusing design. Use sprinkles, dots, licorice, or chocolate chips. (Remember, this is for fun, not your diet!)
- Instead of flowers, buy yourself a balloon bouquet!
Feel any warmer and lighter?
Now, where did I put my crayons?…