“A goal without a plan is just a wish.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
That means we need a plan in order to get the goal. What’s the plan? Are there any simple steps we can take to accomplish a goal?
Yes. Here’s a plan I identified this morning:
- Identify a goal – one over which I have control.
- Pick a date by which I want to complete the goal.
- Figure out the number of hours it will take to reach the goal.
- Looking at a calendar, figure out the number of days I have available to work on the goal.
- Compute the number of hours per day that I can reasonably devote to this project.
- Pinpoint my “high energy” time of day. (I’m a morning person.)
- Considering all of these factors, enter the “goal getting” times on my calendar. For example, 9-11 AM, Monday, Tuesday and Friday.
Now here’s the key: That time on my calendar is an appointment with myself to work on my goal. I will schedule other commitments around the “goal getting” times.
Let’s look at our wish list, create our plans and go get our goals!